They're having a writing contest.
it's for UK residents only and you have to be:
- over 16
- a previously unpublished writer
e-mail Word document or plain text to: Torchword @titanemail.com
text to be place in thesubject line = "I WANT TO TAKE OVER TORCHWOOD" [they put the all caps in, not me]
Full rules directly from page29 of the magazine:
- Stories must be between 1,000 and 1,500 words in length.
- Stories must be written in English.
- Stories must be prose: no scripts, comics strips, or epic poems, please.
- You must be previously unpublished. Professional authors who have previously made money from writing fiction are not eligible.
- The story must feature the characters of Jack, Gwen and Ianto, and may include Rhys, PC Andy, the Hub, and the SUV. All other elements of the story must be the entrant's wholly original work.
- The tone of the story must be appropriate for a mainstream audience and in keeping with the other Torchwood stories before and after - so no rewriting history, no fundamental alterations to the set-up of the show, and no slash fiction/erotica!
- The story must be set between Exit Wounds and Children of Earth Day One.
- Your short story must have been written specifically for this competition, and must not have appeared elsewhere, in print or online.
- The BBC retains all copyright on stories featuring Torchwood and the Torchwood characters. By submitting your story for this competition, you assign the copyright in your work to the BBC. The BBC accepts no liability for any coincidental similarity between competition entries and future BBC projects.
- Stories may only be submitted as Word documents or plain text files attached to an email and sent to email@example.com on or before the advertised closing date.
- The winning story may be edited for sense, length or content.
- We regret that we cannot acknowledge receipt or offer individual feedback on stories.
the small print has this:
To request a list of winners please write to Torchwood magazine...within 28 days of the closing date....Only one entry allowed per person. No multiple, bulk or third party entries allowed.
Also in the magazine is advice from 8 writers: Guy Adams[The house that Jack built], Trevor Baxendale [Books: Something in the Water, The Undertaker's Gift & the short stories: "Plant Life", "Harm's Way", "They keep killing Andy"], James Goss [Almost Perfect, Risk Assessment & the short story: The Last Voyage of Osiris], Andy Lane [Slow Decay & short stories: "The beauty of our weapons, Who by fire, Closing Time"] and David Llewellyn [Trace Memory & the short stories: "Mrs Acres", The book of Jahi", "I mey be some time", and "The Baby Farmers"]
ps: does anyone know of any recent changes made to this [jackxianto] journal? It's completely distorted for me now and I don't know how to correct it. the text shows up in blocks, the calendar that use to be on the left side is now near the middle, and there's no spacing in between the lines.