pmw10261 wrote in jackxianto

The New Boss - Chapter Seventeen

Title: New Boss - 17/?

Rating: MA 15+

Fandom: Torchwood

Genre: AU/ Romance 

Pairings: Jack/Ianto 

Spoilers: None. AU but the names of the Episodes are mentioned

Summary: There is a new Boss for Torchwood Cardiff.

Away to the Brecon Beacons


Words: this part 1,553 - So far - 28,127

Torchwood - Copyright BBC.



beta’d by the wonderful wanda1969


‘thoughts are in italics and single quotes’


Chapter Seventeen





A big black SUV pulled up and Jack leaned out and said, “Okay kids, ready to go, I’ll pop the truck, pile in your stuff, there should be heaps of room.” Jack grinned at them.

Gwen handed her bag to Ianto - well dumped it at his feet - and got in the front with Jack. “Jack this is going to be so nice, you and me up front. We can spend some quality time getting to know each other.”

“Gwen, how is your boyfriend? Rhys is it?” asked Jack, the smile sliding off his face.

“Oh, he’s fine, but this is going to be so much fun,” replied Gwen.

As Ianto and Tosh climbed in the back after Owen with Tosh in the middle, as she was the smallest, the two of them exchanged looks and shook their heads.

Owen climbed in last, behind Jack and groused again. “Bloody team building, what a waste of time.” Everyone ignored him.

Gwen started to fiddle with her seat controls. The seat slid back, making even less room for Ianto’s legs. Jack looked back at him and said as sarcastically as he could. “You got enough leg room there Gwen?”

“Yes, thank you Jack.” ‘Jack is so concerned about how comfortable I am, he really wants me to be happy,’ Gwen smiled and dreamed that it was just her and Jack going away for a ‘dirty weekend’ together.

Jack shook his head and Tosh giggled and she whispered to Ianto, “Here put your legs across this way, you’ll have more room, as long as you don’t mind me having my legs over yours?”

“No worries, Tosh, we can make it work.” replied Ianto.

“Oi.” exclaimed Owen, “How come you get the bird?” Tosh glared at Owen, “Sorry, Tosh, the lovely lady draped over you?”

“‘Cause he has manners,” Jack retorted.

Gwen rummaged around in her pockets and found a bag of boiled sweets. “Want one Jack?” She didn’t offer them to the others in the back.

“No, thanks Gwen.”

She just popped one into his mouth anyway. “They are nice aren’t they? Now, who wants to play a game?”

“Gwen” said Jack as he spat the sweet out and put it in the ashtray. “Not now, there will be plenty of team building experiences when we get there. I have to concentrate on driving; don’t forget I’m from the US, and I haven’t driven on this side of the road for a few years. I feel like I’m driving on the wrong side of the road.”

The three in the back were ignoring Gwen. Ianto was thinking ‘This is actually not too bad, I can sit here and admire Jack’s profile, which is very nice to look at. Not a bad way of passing the time.’

Tosh was looking at her friend, thinking about Jack and Ianto. ‘They look good together. I can feel there is something between them. I hope Jack notices how much Ianto is looking at him. I would hate for him to get hurt. He almost has a ‘puppy dog’ look about him as he stares at Jack.’

Owen just sat, ignoring everyone, looking out the window, watching the buildings fade away as they drove into the countryside. He sniffed, “What is that smell?” he asked.

“That would be grass. We are in the countryside - note, no buildings,” deadpanned Ianto. Tosh giggled into her hand.

“Ha Ha, tea boy. Lets hope there is some paint ball. I would love to see you get all covered in paint. I don’t think you would cope getting dirty anymore than I can cope in the country” snarked Owen.

Jack’s eyes glassed over as he thought to himself. ‘Hmm, dirty Ianto, wet Ianto, Ianto having to take wet dirty clothes off, naked Ianto, cold Ianto, having to warm up Ianto up.’

“Jack!” screeched Gwen. “Are you trying to get us killed? You’re on the wrong side of the road!”

“Let’s stop, I can see a food van ahead and I need a break.” said Jack “And we can change the seats around. It looks a bit squished in the back for the others.”

Gwen scowled.

Ianto ordered bacon and egg rolls for every one and poured out the coffee - as he poured out the drinks, Gwen was standing away from them; she believed Jack would bring her a cup over to her. ‘That way we can have some time together.’

Ianto poured out the cups held out to him, then put the lid back on the Thermos.

Gwen could hear the others saying, what great coffee, and other compliments. She realised it was Ianto’s coffee, and she went over to claim her cup, she reached for the cup on the picnic table, but Jack put his hand on it. “Sorry Gwen, that’s Ianto’s cup”

Gwen looked at him then at Ianto, who said, “I’m sorry, I have two thermose and one is a five cup the other is a four, although they both look similar, I only have four cups and everyone has claimed one. I’ll get you a tea when I collect the rolls if you like.”

Jack gave Ianto a huge smile. Gwen turned her back on Ianto, and Jack thought, ‘she is a bit petty, but Ianto is very good at showing his displeasure.’

As they munched away Gwen kept talking and talking. Owen and Jack were watching, fascinated by the drip of runny egg that was on her roll, waiting for it to splat down her front, but every time it was about to fall on her she would wave her arm around and it would splat on the ground.

Gwen noticed them watching her. ‘Look at Jack and Owen, hanging on every word I say. Just as it should be. Wonder what’s up with Ianto, he’s being distant. Oh well, he must be gay, if he’s not watching me. Poor Tosh, she should realise that, she keeps hanging around with him. She’ll will get nowhere with him, plus he’s not worth it, he’s only a secretary.’

“Time to get going,” said Jack. “We want to get to the camp site in plenty of time.”

“What!” Owen exclaimed. “Campsite? You have got to be joking?”

“No, we are camping, embrace the world you live in, smell the roses.”

“Hate roses,” he whinged. “And I want a pub and a proper bed. Don’t tell me I have to share with the tea boy.”

“No, there are three tents. The girls will have one, and since you don’t want to share, you’ll get a tent by yourself. I’ll share with Ianto,” replied Jack.

As they walked to the SUV, Jack spoke softly to Tosh. “Sorry about who you have to share with, but unfortunately that’s the way it goes. The tents are large and if she gets too much, come and share with Ianto and me.”

“Thank’s Jack, but it is only 2 nights, I’m sure I can survive.”

“So if I don’t get the front seat, who is going up front?” yelled Gwen, who was already at the SUV.

Jack looked the others up and down. “Ianto - he has the longest legs.”

“Thanks, Jack.”

They all piled into the car. This time Gwen was sitting in the backseat behind Ianto.

Gwen thought the same as Ianto had. ‘Good position to look at Jack.

As they settled in Gwen moaned, “Ianto put the seat a bit forward, there is no leg room back here.”

As Ianto began to move the seat forward, Gwen pushed the seat, making it go as far forward as it would go, giving Ianto just about the same leg room as he had in the back.

Jack looked at Gwen, “bit far forward Gwen, I can’t see out of the side window. All I can see is Ianto,” - ‘great view’ he thought, ‘but not so safe,’ - “Ianto move the seat a bit further back.” Jack leaned over to Ianto and whispered “Not that I mind, all I can see it you. But it is safer to be able to see out the window, and you wont be squished up like a pretzel.”

Ianto grinned at Jack and moved his seat back, half way, giving equal room to both himself and Gwen.

Ianto could hear Gwen in the back muttering how she should be up next to Jack, “Why would he want to sit next to Ianto, when he could be sitting with me?” Gwen was pondering on this, ‘Ah, he doesn't want the others to think he thinks of me better than the other or that we are going to be together, since I am still with Rhys. He’s protecting me, what else could it be?’

Tosh looked at Gwen and sighed, ‘What a stuck up bitch,’ she thought. ‘Jack looks at Ianto like he is the best thing since sliced bread and at Gwen like she is mouldy old cheese, and yet she still thinks he wants her. And she has a boyfriend - some people!’

Owen looked out the window and muttered, “Bloody countryside.”

They arrived at the camping centre in plenty of time. There were five of them from Cardiff, eight from London and two from Scotland. They were all instructed to dump their gear outside the hall and met up at the dining hall in half an hour.